Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Birth Plans and Natural Birthing

I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant which is wonderful. It has got me thinking about birth plans and birthing, breastfeeding and sleepless nights... and I am so looking forward to all of it!

Birthing is such a tricky subject because it is such a personal experience and often, opinions don't meet. Through my career, when I was pregnant with Elise, I heard about hypnobirthing and wanted to find out more.

Photo: iStockPhoto/Kryu


Hypnobirthing is focused on calm birthing and allowing your body to do what it does naturally. To do this, it is important to understand what actually happens when you go into labour - physiologically and emotionally - to help yourself help your body bring your baby into the world.

Hypnobirthing in the Western world is relatively unknown still which I find fascinating. I find this so interesting because natural birthing has been around since the beginning of time and is practiced in hundreds of countries around the world. There are women in Africa working in fields when they go into labour - when the time comes, they simply stop working and deliver their babies.

I remember being a 7 year old and being at my best friend's house. Her name was/is Amy. We watched fascinated as her dog gave birth to a litter of puppies and I remember thinking at the time what a peaceful experience it was. Puppy upon puppy appeared and yet the mother dog stayed calm and seemed at peace. She simply licked each one as it emerged and encouraged them to suckle straight away. Of course then, I wasn't thinking about human births, or what my own birthing experiences might be like... I was only 7... but that experience certainly stuck with me.

We human beings think too much. We overthink everything. And truly it is the only thing that differentiates us from every other mammal on the earth that gives birth using the same processes as us. Waters can break; contractions occur; a cervix opens; a baby (or babies) crown; and enter the world. So why are we the only mammals who seem fearful of birth?

Obviously complications arise and when they do, it is essential that they are met with the correct medical attention. But when everything is going well in your pregnancy and you and baby are doing just fine, a natural birth is the best option.

When I talk to other mums to be, I am always fascinated by how little they have researched the topic of their birth.


  • Most don't know why contractions occur or how they actually help baby emerge. 
  • Most do not know why birthing mums are taught to breathe. I'll do a separate post on this.
  • Most do not have a clear understanding of what kind of birth they want and what they really want to avoid
  • Many believe from their first trimester that their birthing experience will be agony and that 'D Day' will be a horror day, best forgotten quickly.


If you were planning a holiday, you would research it thoroughly. You'd find out what facilities were at the hotel; what the pool was like; whether the hotel was walking distance to any restaurants; read reviews; plan day trips; look into the exchange rate. The list is endless.

If you're married, think about how much preparation went into your wedding plans!

Having a baby is no different. Planning, researching and considering all your options (and the best option for you) is so important. You have so many choices and it is important to know what they are.

Love and hugs
Rebecca










No comments:

Post a Comment